Set on a hilltop overlooking the ocean, Point Loma Nazarene University is a high-ranked school offering a range of undergraduate, graduate, and adult completion programs. As a faith-based liberal arts university, Point Loma offers an academic environment shaped by excellence and ranked as a top five Christian school.
Point Loma Nazarene University offers a 15:1 student to teacher ratio, a 90% medical school acceptance rate, and $38.1 million in grant and scholarship aid. 87% of students who graduate do so in four years. Point Loma is in the top 5% rankings of colleges by the Economist and 90% of undergraduates are offered some form of financial aid.
The annual cost for the university is $48,000 per year, there are 3,200 students enrolled, and the male/female ratio is 36/54. The average GPA of incoming freshman is 3.78.
Apart from their stellar academics and quality teachers, the campus of Point Loma is consistently rated as one of the most beautiful campuses in the country. Point Loma Nazarene University is set on a cliff-side overlooking the ocean, and one of the dorms sits right next to the water. It is rated as the third best surf college in America. While the school has strict rules, especially for freshman who can’t have a car on campus, and binding covenants, the campus as well as the surrounding area offer plenty to do for fun. The school shuttle drives all over the neighborhood of Point Loma, offering rides to students who don’t have cars if they want to grab a coffee or a meal or do some shopping.
Where can you go if you are looking for a nearby fun spot to eat or hang out? Here are some fun options:
- Soda and Swine in Liberty Station: famous for their meatball varieties and a fun atmosphere.
- Point Loma Seafoods: a must go if you are a fan of fresh seafood.
- Eat at the Pearl: an old hotel that was renovated and is still a hotel, but also a restaurant where you can eat by the pool, or on Wednesdays, watch a movie from the pool.
- Breakfast Republic in Liberty Station: for an amazing breakfast.
As for coffee shops for meeting with friends or getting some homework done, Point Loma has many great options:
- Point Loma Coffee: great coffee and pastries and friendly staff.
- Moniker General: if you’re looking for high class coffee and the cutest (most expensive) general store around.
- Better Buzz Coffee: the best new coffee shop around.
- Con Pane: they have amazing sandwiches and pastries and their specialty coffee drinks come in huge mugs of to-die-for goodness.
The neighborhood of Point Loma boasts of good food, amazing beaches, and beautiful residential areas to walk around in. Students at Point Loma Nazarene University have access to all of this, as well as the beach right at their doorstep. Many of the dorm rooms overlook the ocean, prompting some students to joke that this will be the nicest view they ever have. Strategically placed benches and picnic tables around campus offer a front row seat to the most gorgeous sunsets.
If you are looking for a school that has it all: exemplary academics, quality teachers, a beautiful campus, and an abundance of activities to do and places to see outside of campus, then Point Loma Nazarene University is the school for you.
If you are interested in seeing this amazing campus and getting a better feel for it, you can visit online to schedule undergraduate tours and graduate and adult completion info nights. Go see what makes Point Loma the place to be.