Summer Hydration Solutions for Older Adults
Adequate hydration is important at any age. For older adults, however, dehydration presents unique health risks. Taking extra steps to stay hydrated in the warm summer months is essential. Below are a few SUMMER HYDRATION SOLUTIONS we implement in our memory care communities!
BayView Senior Assisted Living: Best Senior Living Community Near You
At BayView Assisted Living (and at our partner locations, MesaView Senior Assisted Living, HarborView Senior Assisted Living, and RanchView Senior Assisted Living) we strive to provide compassionate, individualized care, preserving our residents’ dignity at every stage of their Alzheimer’s journey. We’re committed to holistic care that engages our residents on emotional, mental, spiritual, and physical levels.
Hydration Ideas for Seniors
The warm summer months in San Diego present a wonderful opportunity to enjoy the great outdoors. Hydration is essential for people of all ages, but for seniors, adequate hydration is extremely important. They can be more susceptible to dehydration due to medications, diminished thirst functions, and a condition called dysphagia. Dysphagia primarily affects older adults and makes swallowing uncomfortable or even painful.
The onset of dehydration doesn’t always happen slowly. An older adult can be functioning normally one minute and be dizzy and confused the next. It’s important for caregivers to be mindful of water intake and any signs of dehydration.
- Eat foods rich in water: Consume extra fluids by prioritizing fresh fruits, veggies, smoothies, soups, and broths.
- Full glass with pills: Drink a full glass of water when taking medication.
- Schedule outdoor time wisely: Our residents greatly enjoy the beautiful grounds in our care communities! We try to plan outdoor activities for the coolest times of the day (before 10:00 am and after 4:00 pm).
- Build hydration into the routine: We remind residents to drink water throughout the day, especially when they wake up, during mealtimes, and before any activity or exercise.
- Wear sun-protective, loose clothing: Even in the shade, overheating can be a concern in the summer. Light-colored, loose clothing and a sun hat can help older adults stay protected from the heat.
- Refreshing and creative drinks: Pure water is the best way to stay hydrated, but we all enjoy jazzing it up sometimes! Add lemon or orange slices to the water for a little extra flavor. Low-sugar juices or nutrition shakes can also be good solutions for hydration.
- Rehydration drinks: There are many options for drinks that can help replenish lost electrolytes and prevent dehydration. Be mindful of the sugar content of these drinks, however, and choose ones low in sugar. LMNT is a great option for a rehydration drink that is low in sugar and has stellar reviews!
Hop over to Pompa.Com for some creative and hydrating drink recipes.
San Diego’s Top Memory Care and Senior Care Community
BayView Senior Assisted Living in Point Loma, California is one of the top assisted living facilities in the greater San Diego area. We’re known for our compassionate caregivers, beautiful grounds, and personalized, individualized care. We consider it an honor to walk alongside families as they traverse the challenging and heartbreaking journey of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
We understand that our residents’ holistic experience of life (social, spiritual, emotional, mental, physical) is incredibly important. Our compassionate caregivers provide top-notch, individualized care to each of the members of our memory care communities. Our newest care community, located in Encinitas, provides a beautiful, home-like setting for loved ones to age in place with dignity. Take a look at RanchView Senior Assisted Living.
We are consistently rated the best senior living community in San Diego! Get in touch with us today to schedule a COVID-safe tour.